javascript:void(0)

Monday, June 1, 2009

Cherish every moment

Cherish every moment of life. Hug your kids, hug your spouse, hug your family members, hug your friends . . . and love the bloomin' heck out of them.

I lost one of my very best friends last night. She was only 41 years old. She and I had been friends for more than half our lives. I already miss her terribly.

On Friday she started feeling like something was terribly wrong -- she thought she was having a stroke. They called 911, and while in the ambulance en route to the hospital, she suffered a seizure. That was followed by more seizures. Soon after arriving at the hospital she went into cardiac arrest (twice). Although they were able to revive her each time, her other organs failed. All this happened quickly and I arrived at the hospital to find my dear friend on life support and in a coma. I spent most of the weekend at the hospital standing vigil with the rest of her family and friends. It was horrible and tragic and devastating and, and, and . . . you can imagine.

Sadly, modern medicine couldn't fix what was broken. But at least she passed away quietly and peacefully and didn't seem to be in any pain. I'm so sad that I didn't get to say goodbye to her while she was conscious, but I'm very grateful that I got to be there with her during her last hours on earth.

And I am BEYOND grateful that I had her in my life for 22 years. She was a true gift. But right now my heart is a little broken.

Her husband, parents, sister and other relatives are obviously beyond devastated. Nobody saw this coming.

The cause of what happened is still unknown, though hopefully the autopsy will provide some answers. One thing I don't need an autopsy to tell me is that she had a heart of gold. I've known that for a long time.

The MOST TRAGIC thing of all this is that she left behind three little boys (ages 7, 4 and 18 months). My heart breaks for those poor little children. Please keep them in your prayers and thoughts.

Now go hug your kids and tell them you love them. Go call that friend with whom you've been trying to make plans but haven't done so because you've both been too busy to set a date. Make plans now. Go tell your family and friends how much they mean to you. Cherish all the little moments in life.

18 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh Stacy, I'm so sorry! I will keep the family in my thoughts and sending lots of hugs your way.

Renee said...

My condolences to you, your family and your friends' family!!

You will be in my thoughts

BabyBokChoy said...

My condolences... It is heartbreaking to read this post...

Kristi B. said...

I am so, so sorry Stacy! My heart goes out to you, her family & especially her children. :(

Jessica said...

Stacy

I am so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you, her family, and her little boys.

Lynne Forsythe said...

Oh Stacy...I'm so sorry...I know there are no words to heal the pain! Am thinking of you and her family...I am saying a prayer for them!!!
I will go hug the ones I love TODAY!!

Nancy D. said...

So sorry for your loss Stacy...my heart & prayers go out to you & her family..I've sadly been through this experience so I know the heartbreak you're all going through.

Kristin Michelle said...

that is heartbreaking....sending lots of prayers to you and her family, especially those little boys.

Robin said...

Stacy, I'm so sorry for your loss. This has me in tears. It is really hard to understand when these things happen. I just don't get it.

{{hugs}}

~Robin

Lari Scrap said...

I´m so so sorry, Stacy! My heart goes out to you and her family.

Anonymous said...

oh i am so so sorry

NATH said...

I'm so sorry for you, life can be horrible sometimes...I hope time will help you...

Unknown said...

I came over to congratulate you on your Webster's pages Backsides win, but after reading this, I am so heartbroken for you and your friend that my initial reason seems trite. I do wish them and you much peace during this very sad time.

Melissa Bove said...

Oh, Stacy! I'm so sorry! What a tragedy! My heart, prayers and thoughts go out to you and your friends family and little boys!! So sad!

Hugs,
Melissa

Unknown said...

Oh Stacy, my heart breaks for you girl. Hugs to you and I am so sorry for your loss. If you need to talk, please know I am here for you.

Unknown said...

oh no - my heart goes out to you all! BIG hugs and prayers going out!

Jami said...

I am in tears as I read this Stacy - I am so very sorry for your loss. Please know that you and your friends family are all close in my prayers. {{hugs}}

Rita Barakat said...

Staci I am so sorry - last year I had something similar happen to a friend of mine.(I am just recently dealing with it.) It is heartbreaking, I will be praying for her family.